Flexible aisle containment
As datacentre efficiency has reached critical importance, optimising cooling is an effective way to realise efficiency gains. Implementing an aisle containment system is one way to take action. The design rationale is that preventing the mixing of hot and cold air increases cooling efficiency and this can be achieved with either hot-aisle containment (HAC) or cold-aisle containment (CAC) systems.
Containment systems have yielded efficiency improvements. Prevention of hot and cold air mixing is a key to all efficient datacentre cooling strategies. Both HACS and CACS offer improved power density and efficiency when compared with traditional cooling approaches.
A hot-aisle containment system, for example, can save 43% in the annual cooling system energy cost corresponding to 15% reduction in the annualised PUE compared to CACS while holding the uncontained datacentre area to 24oC/75oF. Cold-aisle containment is recommended, though, for datacentre retrofit projects where raised floors and perimeter cooling are involved.
Although highly effective, HACS that utilise ceiling panels are limited to use with row based cooling units. Now with the new Schneider Electric EcoAisle system, containment is available for datacentre environments with row, room and external cooling systems. This flexibility ensures that efficiency can be optimised from rack to row to room to building.
The EcoAisle system delivers the most flexibility within a standard product and it deploys within 2 weeks. In other words, the amount of costly and time-consuming customisation is reduced significantly. In addition it adapts to both hot and cold aisles to address the wide range of datacentre cooling challenges faced by today's IT and facilities managers.
When used with room (eg Uniflair air conditioners), row (eg InRow cooling units or external cooling systems(eg EcoBreeze cooling units) EcoAisle maximises cooling system efficiencies by eliminating mixing and balancing airflow to enable increased operating temperatures and reduce fan energy.
Key Features: Schneider Electric EcoAisle Containment System
- Can be deployed in both new and existing datacentre environments and available in HACS and CACS
- Adapts to varying rack and aisle dimensions
- Fire safe system to alert personnel and remove ceiling containment based on temperature or smoke detection
- Accomodates easy, low-cost growth through the flexible, modular design
- Adapts to room or external cooling solutions with a centralised hot air return system
- Allows for easy cable management over the top of racks or aisles
- Safe slide doors for more flexibility and breakaway capability for emergencies
- Is integrated with high efficiency LED lighting
- Reduces energy use and carbon footprint